Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Road Trip Wednesday: In a Land Far, Far Away...

Road Trip Wednesday is hosted by YA Highway.

This Week's Topic: Describe your dream writing retreat. Where would you go? Who and what would you bring?

Honestly, I wouldn't go far, far away. I'd stay in Nova Scotia, but I'd head to a small cottage by the ocean. Nothing inspires me quite like the ocean does, and I don't spend near enough time there considering how close I am to it. I'd love to go at the end of August/beginning of September, when the water's colder, but not so cold that I couldn't reward myself with a swim. That would also make it the perfect get-away before school/my real life starts again.

See? He wants to come!
The cottage is as important as the ocean, because many of my best stories come from time spent in cottages. It's a small, intimate environment--the same type of environment I like to set my work in--and that leads people to be more honest, more daring, and more magical.

In an ideal world, my cats would enjoy the drive, and I'd bring them. They're great company while writing, because they'll leave me alone, but still recognize when I'm crying over a scene feeling down and cuddle with me to make me feel better. I'd also bring books for inspiration, and music to listen to as I write (which would most likely be a mix of showtunes.)

What's your ideal writing retreat?

5 comments:

Colin Smith said...

That's a cool picture of the ocean. And yes, cats are cute. We have four cats, and at least one invariably ends up in my office demanding affection while I'm trying to write! :)

Stephanie Allen said...

I LOVE the ocean! I've never stayed in a cottage before, though, so that's probably something I should add to the list of things I want to do at some point.

I wish I had a kitty =(

Anonymous said...

I also want a kitty :-) Maybe this year (yuhu...)
That´s a beautiful picture of the ocean and I love cottages...Great choice for a writing retreat!

Rachel Brooks said...

I love the ocean and only have to drive about 15 minutes to reach it! I don't have a cottage at the beach though. That would be awesome!

Your kitty is so cute! My cat always tries to sneak into my luggage too =)

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Brianne Carter said...

Colin - It's nice, eh? And yes, my cats like to do that as well :)

Stephanie - BEFORE WE MOVE INTO A WRITING MANSION FULL OF CATS AND CHOCOLATE WE CAN LIVE IN A COTTAGE. And done ;)

commutinggirl - Thank you!

Rachel - Thanks, I like him ;) Thanks for stopping by my blog as well!

Post a Comment

ShareThis