Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Teaser Tuesday

All right guys, this is really rough. As in, I just wrote it rough, but it's a scene I want to tease. It's from a new WIP. Hope you like it!

---
The water knows that it’s July, but not that it’s summer. The waves crash against my stomach and send it shivering. The moment a wave hits Alex, she runs towards the shore, into the sun.

I could follow her into warmth and safety and comfort and everything I’ve ever wanted. Or, I could yell, “You’re pathetic. Come on, if you come back in we’ll dive in together. We won’t be so cold once we’ve gone under.”

Alex slowly makes her way towards me, where the water hits her knees as it hits my thighs. “On three?” I ask.

“On three.” Her voice agrees, but her body protests with shakes that scare the waves. Still, she plugs her nose and counts, “One, two—”

I don’t hear three because I’m already under. I can’t see or smell or hear but I can taste saltwater and feel seaweed against my leg. I come up for air to hear, “Sex.”

I spit out the saltwater. “Excuse me?” I ask.

Alex is dry from the knees up and is looking everywhere but at me. “That cloud,” she tells the sky. “Looks like when Nathan and I had sex.”

Oh. Ok. Well then.

I don’t know what to do or say. I don’t know who to be. I’m the slut. The slut who’s a virgin. But Alex isn’t a virgin—and if I judge by that cloud, she’s a freak—and she’s not a slut.

So, this is how our lives look now: I’m the A student who wants to go to college, who’s nice to everyone, who has never gone beyond second base. My dad left and my mom pretends like I don’t exist. One douche who I rejected called me a slut, which to everyone else (friends, family, and pastor included) means that I am a slut.

Alex is the B student who thinks she’s better than college, who thinks she’s better than everyone, who’s apparently hit a kinky home run. Her parents love her, and my mom loves her more than she loves me. She had a perfect boyfriend who she had sex with, and even though she broke up with him for some stupid reason he’s still her friend and trying to help her achieve her dreams and all that crap.

I hate the one person who gives a crap about me.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rough at the beginning, but good all the way through. Emotion and seething in each sentence. Loved it.

Cheyanne said...

Great voice! I like the conflict at being thought of as a slut even when she's not. And the funny bits made me laugh, so overall it was a great tease!

Karla Calalang said...

Ohh this is really good despite its rough spots. The emotion in this especially! And I'm curious to find out what's next. I love it!

Angelica R. Jackson said...

Nice tease, as always! I've got all sorts of images running through my head about that cloud . . .

Melanie said...

Thi is really nice stuff, Bri. The last line gave me chills. Love when that happens. Since you've informed us it's a rough draft, I'm sure you will work out any kink later (as we ALL do), but this is some good work. Love the way she's considered a slut even though she's really not and the idea that her mother loves her friend more than her. Makes for a very interesting and intense dyanmic between the MC and Alex.

Hannah said...

Really enjoyed this. Can't wait to read more!

Aleeza said...

wo-o-oah! in this approx. 500 word snippet youve conveyed such a good sense of the characters' personality! i love it!

Post a Comment

ShareThis