Thursday, September 9, 2010

What are Your Characters Geeky About?

On the Playlist: Cosmic Love - Florence + The Machine

I’m a university student and my classes for the fall semester began on Wednesday. My first class was Canadian Poetry, and before my professor told our class about her relationship with Canadian poetry, she said, “I’ll try not to cry.”

And that’s when I knew I’d love that class.

“Whatever you were geeky about in high school,” she told us, “That’s what I was like with Canadian poetry.”

Before I know anything else about a character, I know what they’re geeky about. It always reveals so much about them to me. For example, Callie in Building Forts is geeky about math, which fits with how she treated her life like a formula pre-Chase.

I love to see YA characters that are hormone crazy, but I love to see them being just as crazy about chemistry or photography or basketball or anything. I just think it reveals so much about them.

So, I’m curious: what are your characters geeky about? What does it say about them? Tell me in the comments, write a blog post, whatever you want, I’d just love to hear from you.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Naw, I miss Callie and Chase teasers! Sigh, I can dream...

My MC, Eliana, is a comicbook nerd. Loves them. I have no idea what's so good about comicbooks, but I've had to do a crapload of research on them because practically everything she says is in reference to some nerdy comic - she frequently compares Raff to Spiderman (because of his wall-climbing abilities, all-round dorkiness, and the fact she thinks of herself as a Mary-Jane type). Phoenix (other love interest) is a bit more Batmanish - mysterious, moody, sticks to shadows, has Morgan Freedman working for him. Ok, maybe not, but I wish he did...*sigh*

PS. Awesome awesome choice of music. I <3 Florence!

Post a Comment

ShareThis