Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Road Trip Wednesday: Sing, Sing a Song...

Road Trip Wednesday is hosted by YA Highway


This Week's Topic: If your WIP or favorite book were music, what song(s) would it be?

I love this topic so much. I posted Building Forts' playlist awhile ago, and though those songs are still on it, it has changed from a focused playlist of twenty-three songs to a mess of, uh, 161 songs and counting, which you can see here if you're interested. Any song that reminds me of a scene in my novel makes the cut--whether because of music, lyrics, or both--and I can justify every song on that playlist (yes, including Like a G6), even if the connection's a bit of a stretch.

Needless to say, it was difficult to narrow my novel down to one song for this post. Many of the songs in the playlist represent specific scenes, so those are out, but there are also a fair number which fit the overall theme. So, honourable mentions go to every song by Thriving Ivory, "Car Crash" by Wakey!Wakey!, "Fix You" by Coldplay, "For Blue Skies" by Strays Don't Sleep, "Teenage Dream" by Katy Perry, and "Falling" by The Civil Wars. 

The song I think best represents my novel, however, is "Corner of Your Heart" by Ingrid Michaelson.


This was not the first song that came to mind when I read the prompt, because I don't write to it near as often as I write to the songs above. But, it is exactly what my MC, Callie, does throughout the novel. She has two romantic relationships, and though one is considerably healthier than the other, in both she gives the guy everything she has for next to nothing in return, her whole heart for a corner of his.

I also want to share this dance to this song, because I discovered it long after I began this novel, and was shocked by how the male dancer just is Chase. It's kind of ridiculous. He even has the right hair!


What song would your WIP be?


4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'd never heard this song before today...but it seems right in line with the few teasers I'd read of your back in the day :)

KatOwens: Insect Collector said...

This is great-- thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

EVERY TIME I hear Teenage Dream, guess what comes to mind? Sigh. Love love love it.

PS. Guess who's now addicted to The Civil Wars? Yeah. You started that. Next thing you know they'll b big in Australia because of moi. Eeeeeexcellent.

Brianne Carter said...

Karla - Ah, so cool you even remember those lol, thanks!

KO - Thanks!

Caitlin - YES, SO HAPPY YOU LOVE THE CIVIL WARS. As long as we keep introducing international friends to them, they'll take over the world.

Post a Comment

ShareThis