Monday, June 6, 2011

Championing Contemporary YA: Beatle Meets Destiny

The lovely Bee at Dreamcatcher's Lair is hosting Championing Contemporary YA between the 3rd and 10th of June. In her words, "Championing Contemporary YA is a movement in celebration of June as the Contemporary month over at The Contemps."  I'm thrilled to participate in this movement by discussing a few of my favourite contemporary YA books.


Imagine your name is John Lennon, only everyone calls you Beatle. 


And then you meet your dream girl and her name is Destiny McCartney. 


But what if you're already with the perfect girl? 

A novel about change, chance and everybody doing the wrong thing. (Summary and picture are from goodreads.)
---

I'm infatuated with Australia. One day, I will go there, hang out with all of my awesome Australian friends, and then I will buy all the books. I mean it. I will buy all of them. 

I'd heard wonderful things about Beatle Meets Destiny, so when I realized it was available in Canada land, I looked a bit like this:


That was also how I reacted as I read the book.

This is a fun, fast-paced read. It's clever and entertaining, while also emotional and hopeful. I laughed out loud multiple times (once in the middle of a Tim Horton's, which proves that I could not censor my reactions to this book), felt for the characters, and turned pages like a maniac when the plot started to get twisty. I love elements of mystery in a story, and much like another one of my favourite Aussie authors, Jaclyn Moriarty, Williams kept me guessing until everything was revealed. Despite the plot essentially being a string of (in)convenient  coincidences (to be clear, that's not a criticism. I think since Willaims committed to it, it worked well), the book itself felt so realistic. Beatle and Destiny are so believable, and I love that they talk about their family and friends in a slightly exaggerated way, because  that tends to be how we view people. Also, the dialogue is perfect. Williams captured flirting so well by showing how often it is about saying really strange things (at least, that's been my experience, and I was relieved to find Beatle and Destiny's conversations to also be randomly romantic.)

Excuse me while I fly to Australia.

4 comments:

Bidisha said...

Bri, it's so wonderful to see you doing this! Thank you :)

And I love your review. I've been wanting to read this for quite some time but it's on available out here, sadly :( Nevertheless, I'm gonna fly out to Australia or something to get it if I have to. And you're right about Aussie YA. It's amazing, isn't it?
I love that you compared the writer's style to Jaclyn Moriarty. I ADORE her books!

Unknown said...

If you don't make good on your promise to come to Australia one day, I shall cry. I see this book EVERYWHERE (Kmart, Borders, Angus and Robertson, Target...literally, everywhere) but I've always been skeptical because I heart the Beatles more than most things, and I didn't want ANYTHING to come between me and my love.

That being said, I do trust your judgement, so perhaps - PERHAPS - if it's at the library, I may - MAY - pick it up. And borrow it. And love it. And get back to you. :D

Nomes said...

love this review Bri ~ it was one of my very fave reads last year :)

it think you captured the heart of this book so well :)

i thought it was Moriarty-esque as well :)

Brianne Carter said...

Bee - It's my pleasure, thanks for hosting something so wonderful! :) Aw, that's quite unfortunate. I hope you get to read it soon!

Caitlin - Dude, I'm there the second I get money and stuff ;) Beyond the names, there's really nothing Beatle-esque about the book? Unless I'm missing something completely obvious, which is very possible. Perhaps I'm very much looking forward to hearing your thoughts if you follow through on those plans :)

Nomes - Thanks so much! Your blog is almost always what introduces me to these wonderful Aussie books, so thank you!

Post a Comment

ShareThis