Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Road Trip Wednesday: One More Time, We're Gonna Celebrate

Road Trip Wednesday is hosted by YA Highway

This Week's Topic: It's almost prom season, and since we love to read and write about teenagers, we want to hear your prom stories!

My prom memories are not about boys, but about friends.

I remember searching for a dress. At the time, I'd lived with only my dad and my brother for seven years; I didn't have a mom or sister to take me shopping. I ended up going with a couple of my friends and their moms on a Friday night, watching both of my friends find beautiful dresses, and finding nothing that fit me (dresses aren't designed for girls who are short from the waist up, everything sat far too high on me), let alone that I loved. Still, my friend and her mom took me out shopping all day on Saturday until I found the perfect dress. It was a long, frustrating process that they didn't have to go through with me, but they did and I appreciated more than I could ever express to them. And when we finally found the dress? I was so glad to share that moment with them. 

I missed my mom like nothing else the day of prom. The worst moment was when I was getting my hair done by a cranky hairdresser, watching all the other girls with their moms, and having her ask me if my mom was coming. I nearly cried. 

But then I went to that same friend's house to get ready together, her mom did my make-up, and I knew that even if I didn't have my mom, I had incredible women in my life. Then I went out to dinner with my friends, took pictures with them, and drove to our prom (held in our high-school gym, what a classy school we were) in a mini-van.

And it was awesome. 

I don't remember much about the dance itself, just that I had a lot of fun with the people who'd been there for me for the past three years. I do remember the last song, our grad song, "One More Time" by Daft Punk (again, classy school), and being so grateful that I had one last chance to celebrate with my friends.

I didn't have the magical prom you see in YA. It rained. The prom wasn't held in a fancy hall, and we certainly didn't go to it in a limo. I didn't have a moment with a boy; I didn't even have a date. I kicked off my heels within ten minutes of the prom beginning, around the time my hair fell flat. It didn't change my life.

But it did give me a chance to celebrate the life, the friends, and the role models I had throughout high school, one more time.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

So glad you could find a mom in your friend's mother. I can definitely relate. I don't think many proms are as magical as they seem. And they're far too expensive. But the memories are worth it. (usually)

Colin Smith said...

Even without all the "magical prom you see in YA" it sounds like you had a really great time with your friends. And what wonderful friends you had/have! The mom who took you dress shopping was priceless. What a great story.

Elodie said...

"But it did give me a chance to celebrate the life, the friends, and the role models I had throughout high school, one more time" --> this is beautifully said! your entire post is very touching and I am so very happy that you were able to find support in your friends!

Crystal said...

I don't think very many people actually get the TV magic prom, but it sounds like yours was pretty great anyway :)

Kody Keplinger said...

I love your story. My prom was full of friends, too. And those pictures look like you guys had tons of fun!

Post a Comment

ShareThis