Saturday, January 22, 2011

Tweeting Can Help You Revise! Really.

Almost every time I write a tweet, I write more than 140 characters.

When I see my character count is at -25 (not an exaggeration), I tend to take it out on Twitter. Why only 140 characters? Why not 165? Or 200? Or 500? I have too many brilliant things to say about Glee to be censored by your limit!

Shockingly, that is not productive. What I need to do is take my frustration out on my tweets.

My latest tweet started like this:

I know I'm a little late to this party, but Sara Bareilles' Kaleidescope Heart is perfection, and I didn't think anything could live up to Little Voice.

I was over the character limit, so I decided to cut a little because it didn't add to the purpose of my tweet--to let everyone know how brilliant Sara's latest album is---and because it's a lie. I'm really late to that party. I was still over, so I cut I know because, well, I'm the one tweeting, making saying I know redundant. The result was this:

I'm late to this party, but Sara Bareilles' Kaleidescope Heart is perfect, and I didn't think anything could live up to Little Voice.

It says everything I wanted it to say, just in a more direct way.

If you follow me on Twitter, you already know that I don't always put that much thought into my tweets, nor do I do tweet brilliance (this is a great pitch if you were considering following me, eh?) However, you can use the skills you learn in Twitter Land in Revision Land as well. Tweeting teaches you how to get to the point while still conveying all necessary information, which is exactly what we try to do as writers.

You tell me: Are you on Twitter? Do you often revise your tweets? Does it help you revise your novel? 

3 comments:

KatOwens: Insect Collector said...

I don't twitter. I'm not anti-twitter I'm just seriously lacking time. I do find myself revising my blog posts endlessly, and also comments. I have been to big-name lit agent blogs, written a comment, revised for 30 minutes... and then erased it and not posted anything. Sad, huh?

Unknown said...

I agree: Twitter offers great lessons in editing. Of course, it also encourages leet-speak and crazy abbreviations (R U going 2 the movies?). But, all in all, it's good fun and slightly educative too. What's not to like?

Brianne Carter said...

KO: Oh dude, I revise some blog comments endlessly, so I understand. It's all practice, right?

K.M.: There is nothing not to like! I'm such a Twitter advocate, especially since I think it's a great way for writers to connect with other writers.

Post a Comment

ShareThis