Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Experimenting with Genre

It's been three weeks since I've updated this blog because:
  • Midterm season, which included a research paper, an analytical paper, a portfolio for creative writing, rehearsals for my Shakespeare performance project, and actual midterms, tried to kick my butt. I fought it the best I could, which meant I neglected this blog, neglected revisions, and neglected sleep.
  • Uh, I watch a lot of television.
Really, it boils down to busyness and laziness which, when combined, are productivity's biggest enemy.

As mentioned, one of the assignments I had was a portfolio for my creative writing class. We've had weekly writing assignments all semester, and the portfolio was a way to put all of them into a revised, polished package. After triple-checking to make sure it was correctly, frantically searching for all the peer-editing sheets I had to include as appendices in the black hole that is my backpack, and an epic battle with my stapler (that, for the record, my stapler won), I passed mine in Monday morning. And I felt good about what I passed in, which I didn't expect to because it was poetry portfolio.

Now, I adore poetry. I love to read it, and it was all I wrote in, uh, elementary school. Beyond what's been required for school, I haven't written poetry since then and, needless to say, the poem I wrote at seven in which I likened the bathroom to prison wasn't exactly a masterpiece (though it's infamous in my family.) So, I was worried that everything I wrote would be terrible, I'd fail the class, and my professor who is also an editor would tell all of her publishing friends to put me on their blacklists. Naturally. 

I have no idea if my portfolio will come back with an A or an F on it (yes, I only think in those two extremes), but, as I said, I felt good about it. That's because I experienced the same rush writing and revising some of the pieces that I do when I write and revise my novel (which is a far cry from poetry.) Admittedly, two of the poems that happened with had strong narrative elements to them (one was a prose-poem, and the other was a glosa), but they were still quite different from a YA novel due to length and other genre conventions. And, two of the poems I loved to write didn't have stories behind them at all. Ultimately, I wrote pieces I never would have written otherwise--pieces I never thought I could write--that I was happy with, and that was really, really cool (I know, I'm so poetic now.)

I took a break from novel revisions to focus on this project (and to, you know, pass my midterms), but I know that all the work I did for my portfolio will ultimately help me with my current novel and any future novels I write. The best gift this class has given me is the courage to experiment. Maybe I'll write more poetry, maybe I'll try a paranormal, maybe I'll attempt a dystopian. Maybe I'll experiment more within the contemporary genre. Maybe I'll enjoy it and maybe I won't. Maybe it'll work and maybe it won't. 

I think I'd like to find out.

What genre do you write? Have you written in other genres? If so, what was your experience like? If not, would you like to try? Let me know in the comments!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I LOVE breaking genre! Sometimes it's just so nice to read/write something completely outside your comfort zone, you know? Robyn Hood makes me despise history and everyone in it (yes, that includes, like, Abe Lincoln and Ghandi). So I let my mind wander to nice, comfortable, contemporary, don't-need-to-check-the-origins-of-every-freaking-word land. And it's a nice vacation.

Nothing wrong with experimentation ;) I think you could pull off ANY genre you tried a hand at - I believe in you! :D

Taryn said...

Welcome back!

As for genre . . . when I started writing, I thought my idea was an adult epic fantasy (strange thought for an 11 year old, but w/e). Then I got more ideas and thought of myself as a pure fantasy (YA and adult, epic and otherwise) writer. And now I write mostly contemp.

The only genre I don't touch is historical fiction b/c I don't like the research.

Good luck :)

Luke Raftl said...

Genre-hopping is something I know I should do, even just for my own enjoyment and horror rather than to share with anyone. I can see the importance of stepping out of my comfort zone from time to time, but unless i'm forced to I always find an excuse.

Maybe I need to join a writing class and have such an exercise forced upon me ..!

Angelica R. Jackson said...

I write all over the place: non-fiction articles, essays, poetry, pict bks, MG, YA, and adult. Published in some of those areas, too, but not having much luck in the adult market. Maybe because I'm just a kid in disguise as a grown up?

Brianne Carter said...

Caitlin - I would hate history too if I were you, sorry Ghandi. Glad to hear you're having fun in contemporary land! :) And thank you for your faith in me, misguided as it may be ;)

Taryn - Thanks! That's interesting to hear about your journey through the genres! Totally with you on historical fiction. We'll leave that to Caitlin ;)

Luke - It's definitely difficult to make yourself do it, especially when you're so comfortable in your own genre. Don't know if I would've had my GPA not depended on it ;)

Angelica - So cool that you write for so many markets! I'm pretty sure most adults are just kids in disguise :)

Stephanie Allen said...

I'm taking a creative writing class right now (which unfortunately is almost over because it's the end of the quarter =( ) and I've totally had the same experience with it. It got me back into writing poetry (which I haven't written in years) and I also got to experiment with creative nonfiction which, frankly, I'd had no idea existed until this class. (I'm a history major. It's all straight up analytical for us.) And it's given me the courage to experiment, which is awesome =)

Normally I write YA fantasy/romance. And I've sort of experimented with historical, but I'm so afraid to mess it up that I haven't really done anything serious with it. I might try dystopian sometime.

Brianne Carter said...

Steph - That's SO weird, because my next project for that class is a creative nonfiction one lol. I didn't know it existed, either! Historical is definitely a scary genre in that sense.

Post a Comment

ShareThis