Thursday, September 1, 2011

Switching WIPs and Visual Inspiration

Ok.

Remember that WIP of mine, Duets? Remember how I wrote two posts about it, excited to explore music and the ocean and messy love with three characters I loved, a setting I loved, a story I loved?

...Remember when I wrote 2.5k and couldn't write any more? No?

I was embarrassed that I'd abandoned a novel so early on, one I was so excited about, but it wasn't the right time for me to write it. I knew that when I danced so hard one night that I had to laugh afterwards, because it had made me that happy.

I knew that I wanted to write about dance. Again.

And from there I remembered Tiffany, a dance team captain, her boyfriend Ethan, her best friend Adelle, her rival Tessa, and her town. That was as far as the idea when I first brainstormed, but as I struggled through Duets, I gave Tiffany two sisters and a brother, a krumper to figure out life with,  and a football field where she danced the way I did that night.

My last novel was, in a sense, about dance, and I was worried that I'd be repeating myself with this one. But, Tiffany is not Callie (my MC in Duets was much closer to Callie than Tiffany is, and I think that's partly why I found it so hard to write), dance team is about as far from improv as you can get, and there are no car crashes or wheelchairs or random sex. It's a different story, and it's one that I love to write, which is why I feel comfortable with it as my current project.

So, I thought I'd share some visual inspiration for this WIP, through both pictures and dances. The order of these pictures and videos, while not chronological, is definitely intentional and meaningful. I'd love to hear what you think of these and, in turn, what kind of sense you have of the story!















That picture of the boy and girl starting to slow dance? They look exactly like the couple they're meant to represent, and it freaked me out so much when I first saw the picture! So cool when stuff like that happens. Let me know what you guys are thinking in the comments!

5 comments:

Linda said...

Great pictures! They make me think of a sweet YA contemporary romance.

Unknown said...

Caaaaaaallieeeeee! I miss her. But I do remember you doing Duets for Nano, and I recall it sounded amazing - HOW DO YOU KEEP COMING UP WITH SUCH AWESOMENESS OH MI GAWD BRI YOU'RE MAKING US ALL LOOK BAD -- ahem, I mean, your pictures suggest your manuscript would be, ah, quite enjoyable.

Sometimes all it takes is a slight change to a WIP to get your engine revving again - I changed my Male MC from a shy guy to a total playa in mine, and TA-DA, everything came together. :D

Brianne Carter said...

Linda - Thanks Linda! That's what I hope to have :)

Caitlin - DUDE I MISS HER TOO. I still visit her and Chase quite often, usually when they're making out. Lovely to do what I want with them now that the novel's done :P ANYWAY, we'll pretend that wasn't creepy at all, and move on. Thank you! I hope it is quite enjoyable. Dude, that's so true. One night I was like, "THIS NOVEL NEEDS A KRUMPER!" and everything came together :P

Stephanie Allen said...

I got your email! I just haven't gotten around to answering yet because I'm visiting my parents which means I have to do THINGS with them. But I'll email you back!

I love all of the pictures. Such a good idea =)

Brianne Carter said...

Stephanie - No worries, take your time! Thanks! :)

Post a Comment

ShareThis