Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Teaser Tuesday

It's been so long since I've teased, but I wanted to share something from my WIP, the one with a small town, a dance team, and a krumper.

This tease is from the first chapter, but it's not the very beginning. All that happens before this is that you see Tiffany go the football field where she dances every night. Usually, she's alone, but that's not the case tonight. 

---
And I'm not alone.

I was, I was alone for seventeen years, but tonight there’s someone on the bleachers, watching me.

For the first time in seventeen years, I’m scared and wish Ethan was here.

But I can’t leave, because I need this. It’s the only chance I have to be alone, to be myself.

There’s one minute until tomorrow, so I put my headphones on and press play, letting love and confusion and pain fill me until the beats are so loud, the feelings are so loud, that I need to move, I need to release them.

I fly across the field and I fall but I don’t care, I don’t care, because I’ll get up and stretch, I’ll stretch so far, I’ll prove that I can control my body, this stupid football field, this ridiculous school, I’ll control all of it and everything will be fine.

And I do and everything is ok.

I turn the music off and it’s the first day of school.  I’m Tiffany. I’m a senior who has spent every year of high school on the honour roll. I’m captain of the dance team. I’m Ethan’s girlfriend, and I always have been.

What I feel has now power over me because I'm stronger, better than that.

I put my hood up as I pass the bleachers on my way home, because the boy is still there, still watching me.  And, despite what I’ve done, I’m still scared.

 “Hey!” he calls, and I walk faster. “Relax, I just want to talk.” Faster, faster. “I get it, you know. I don’t have anywhere else to go, either.”

I can always walk faster.

5 comments:

Bidisha said...

I love the beginning of the teaser because there's this gently flow to the writing, which gets her feelings across to me even in such short scene.
And I love the second half of the teaser cos it's intriguing. Very, very curious about the boy.

Vee said...

The last line is so powerful. As usual, I'm totally entranced by your voice. Your writing always has this kind of flow and emotion that I love :)

Ellen said...

Love this! The voice is great, and it makes me want to know more about what's going on. Who she is, and why she dances alone in the stadium, and why he's watching her... Great scene :)

Unknown said...

I don't know why, but I'm totally rooting for her to WALK FASTER TIFFANY HE A STALKER GURL! Er...I mean...it's very addictive. As is ALL your stuff. Y U NO GIVE ME YOUR TALENT? You have more than enough to spare :P

GREAT teaser! I'm super pumped to see more...

Brianne Carter said...

Bee - Ah, I'm so glad you noticed that flow, as that was what I was going for but wasn't sure if it came across. Thank you!

Vee - Thank you so much!

Ellen - Awesome, exactly what I want you to wonder about lol. Thanks!

Caitlin - GURL BUT HE'S HOT SO IT'S OK. Except not, spoiler alert: There's no stalking is sexy storyline in this novel. I KNOW YOU'RE DISSAPPOINTED. Dude, I need to use what I can get, no room to share :P Thank you, and that was subtle.

Post a Comment

ShareThis