Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Road Trip Wednesday: Moving the Block

Road Trip Wednesday is hosted by YA Highway.

This Week's Topic: How do you beat writer's block?

Look what Calvin did to us, folks. Just look.

I struggle with two types of writer's block:
  1. My muse is taking a nap/I'm not inspired.
  2. I've pantsed the entire novel and now find myself in my underwear with nowhere else to go/I don't know what should happen next.

If my muse is asleep, I bribe it with artistic activities that will inspire it, such as reading and dancing. Reading's good if my muse is fully rested, but if they're groggy from an hour-long sleep, I need to dance. Dancing makes me raw--though I'm not as big of a fan of her as others, Adele's music is the best for this--and that naked, pumped-on-adrenaline state allows me to write with the honesty I need to.

If I'm in my underwear, I look for pants. I recently realized that writing through blocks does not work for me, because the plot either goes nowhere or somewhere ridiculous (gosh, I love plot-twists far too much), and my frustration causes my writing to fall flat. So, I close my document, hide my computer, and go for a walk, out to coffee, to my couch to watch Big Brother, anything that will distance me from my novel. Even I leave to do something mindless like the dishes or laundry, I don't intend on focusing on my novel. But, if I'm bored, I default to thinking about my novel, from there I brainstorm, from there I come up with plot points, and from there I write. The most important thing is that I take time and space away from my novel.

In both scenarios, I also like to act out my scenes. When I had to play Romeo in a performance for my Shakespeare class (this paragraph gets better and better, doesn't it?), I struggled to project my voice. To practice, I acted out a fight in my novel, and because I knew it would be easier for me to project as characters I cared about, and I'd go from there. That exercise did more than help me with my performance, it inspired me to write. Even if I don't go as far as acting, I'm always talking to myself through my stories.

Like anything else, sometimes these methods work, and sometimes they don't. They're a start, at least, an attempt to move the block Calvin gave us.

How do you beat writer's block?

3 comments:

Jess said...

I LOVE acting out my scenes! It's such a great way to figure out pacing and create natural dialogue. If it feels funny saying it, it'll feel funny writing/reading it, too.

Funny story, though: I was blocking out a particularly emotional scene once in college when I thought I was alone in a new apartment. I really got into the scene and a friend of one of my roommates walked in on me crying in the bathroom. Hahaha!

Rachel Brooks said...

Love the comics! I don't let writer's block happen. Basically, even if I'm not feeling inspired or know what to write, I force myself to write anyway. Once I get typing I find my flow again.Even if I have to go back and edit what I wrote, at least it keeps me going.

Also, I’m a new follower—wonderful blog! Stop by my blog and follow me too? :) http://rachelbrookswrites.blogspot.com/

Brianne Carter said...

Jess - YES IT'S SO MUCH FUN. LOL That's totally going to happen to me next year, or something equally embarrasing :P

Rachel - They both made me actually laugh out loud. I wish I could do that, but I'm glad that method works for you! Thank you, I can't wait to check out your blog :)

Post a Comment

ShareThis