Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Road Trip Wednesday: Understanding the Ladybug

Road Trip Wednesday is hosted by YA Highway.

This Week's Topic: What's your numero uno reason for writing?

The Sequel: How the Ladybug Applied Mascara
One of my earliest memories is learning about fables in elementary school. I loved them, and was as excited as I'd ever be about an assignment when our teacher asked us to write a fable. 

I wrote about how the ladybug got its spots and it was a creative, touching, absolutely ridiculous piece that I was so proud of. 

Fast forward, and I have more questions. I learn about friendship and God and love and dance and sex and history and music, but it's never enough. I always know that there's more to know, but I don't know what else I need to know; I don't know what questions to ask.

So, I write about it. I write about a character who has casual sex to understand why people do that (as well as why people don't.) I write about relationships to understand how they can be so messy and so incredible at the same time. I write about dance to understand why it affects me the way it does.

I write to learn about how the ladybug got its spots. 

Why do you write?

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm a dancer, too. I think dancing and writing are very similar in a lot of ways, because they both enable us to get our emotions out of our bodies and truly explore the world. Great answer!

Colin Smith said...

Interesting answer, Brianne--writing to explore ideas and experiences you want to know more about. It flies in the face of the "write what you know" adage that makes me cringe. Write what you love, I say. And in your case, write what you *want* to know! I wish you every success. :)

Rida said...

Hmm, yes, that's totally true- instead of writing what you know, you write what you want to know. I think you've just made up a new rule, Brianne! And it's one that practically everyone (definitely including me) follows.

Post a Comment

ShareThis