Saturday, December 31, 2011

Best of 2011: Books Published in 2011

Yesterday, I talked about the best books I read in 2011. Today, I finish the Best of 2011 series with a post about my favourite books published in 2011. 

As I mentioned yesterday, narrowing this list down to five books was easy. However, ranking those books? It was nearly impossible. Each book on this list is on my all-time favourites list, and they could all be tied for number one. 

5. Lola and the Boy Next Door - Stephanie Perkins
"Just because something isn't practical doesn't mean it's not worth creating."
Read my full review here. If I were an objective person, this book would not be on the list. There are problems with it, and I recognize those. However, I checked this book out during midterm season, right before a weekend I spent locked away in room. This book became my study-break, and reading it was the highlight of my weekend. It's so easy to get swept up in the sweet love story Perkins creates, and I felt like I was right there in San Francisco with Lola and Cricket. Also, the Anna and Etienne scenes were such a nice touch. Unfortunately, Santa didn't bring me Cricket like I asked for, but there's always next year, right? ;)

4. How to Save a Life - Sara Zarr
Sara Zarr is the master of quiet stories that capture your heart. This book could have been melodramatic, but it never felt that way; it was heart-shattering in how realistic it was. But, after Zarr shattered your heart, she took the time to put it back together. Also, this book is probably the best example of dual-POV I've read. Mandy and Jill had unique voices, and I cared about both of them. I often skip POV's in dual-POV novels to read the one I enjoy more, but I was never tempted to do that with How to Save a Life. I also loved the way the love-triangle is handled in this novel. It's nice to see one where both boys are viable options.

3. Divergent - Veronica Roth
"A brave man acknowledges the strength of others."
You don't know how many times I tried to review this book, but gave up because all I wanted to say was, "I really liked it!" I'm having the same problem now. But, there's something wonderful about that. It's rare for me to read a book now without thinking about it critically for a review, or analytically for my English classes. Roth pulled me into her story in a way that allowed me to focus on and enjoy the story. So, to sum up: I really liked  this book!

2. Like Mandarin - Kirsten Hubbard
"A person's actions could be interpreted in a number of  ways, depending on who was watching."
Read my full review here. Honestly, I said it all in my review. This is another personal book for me. I've been Grace, and this is one of those books I wish I was around when I was fifteen years old. All I can hope is that teenage girls who feel the way I did find this book, because I have no doubts that it'll help them. I had high expectations for Like Mandarin, but Hubbard surpassed them. Her characterization is spot-on and her prose is beautiful without being pretentious. I recommend this book to anyone who's ever been a teenage girl. 

1. Where She Went - Gayle Forman
"I wait for the day that you'll resurrect me."
I didn't expect this. I liked If I Stay, but it wasn't a favourite of mine. I expected to enjoy Where She Went, but not for it to be my favourite book of 2011, and one of my favourite books of all-time. I still remember sitting outside, reading this, and getting so into that, to use a cliche, the rest of the world disappeared. I also listened to Adam-esque music while I read it, and I found myself turning the volume up as I read and feeling everything. Adam's not always likable, but oh my gosh, I ached for that boy. I listened to this audiobook on my commute to and from school in November, which was a mistake, because I nearly cried on the bus. The prose in this book was incredible as well; there were moments I had to put the book down because I was so excited about the prose. When I went through the goodreads quotes to find one for this post, each quote brought me right back to a moment in the novel, and the emotion associated with that part. It's my favourite book of 2011 because no book made me feel as much as it did.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis