Thursday, December 29, 2011

Music to Write to in 2012

When I made my lists of the best writing songs of 2011, I mentioned that most of them were released earlier in the year. This is the list of songs that didn't make the cut solely because they were released later in the year, and I haven't had a chance to write to them. These are the songs of 2011 that I'll write to in 2012!


5. The War is Over – Kelly Clarkson
All I have to say is you don't deserve me.
While I adore Kelly Clarkson, I was underwhelmed by Stronger. However, I fell in love with “The War is Over” the first time I listened to it. It’s a great anthem for characters realizing they deserve to be treated better than their partners are treating them.

4. Safe and Sound – Taylor Swft ft. The Civil Wars
Don't you dare look out your window darling/Everything's on fire.
When this song appeared on my Twitter feed, I thought I’d imagined it. Taylor Swift and The Civil Wars are two of my absolute favourite artists, and they colloborated on a song for The Hunger Games? Come on, that’s too good to be true. But the song was everywhere within hours, and I fell in love. I always write to Taylor Swift and The Civil Wars anyway, but since I associate it with one of my favourite books, hearing it makes me want to write. It’s the perfect song for those romantic scenes when the characters escape from the chaos arround them, and focus on each other.

3. Over You – Miranda Lambert
But you went away/How dare you/I miss you.
It’s both exciting and frustrating to discover a song that’s perfect for your novel when you’re not working on that novel. So much about this song reminds me of the climax in my novel, and I know I’ll have this on repeat when I revise it in 2012. But, this song is appropriate for any novel in which characters miss someone. The emotion that Miranda sings with in the chorus captures the feeling of being left perfectly.

2. No Light, No Light – Florence and the Machine
I never knew daylight could be so violent.
Again, while I love Florence, I was underwhelmed by Ceremonials. Honestly, the only songs I like on it are “Shake it Out” and “No Light, No Light,” but I love those songs. This song is so dark and dramatic, which makes it perfect for any climax.

1. This Isn’t Everything You Are – Snow Patrol
Just take the hand that's offered and hold on tight.
Oh guys, this song. I’ve never seen to many writers tweet or blog about a song before, which tells me that you all love to write to it, too. The lyrics are the perfect anthem for any character who’s defined by something that, well, isn’t everything they are. The music fits well, too; it’s hard not to feel empowered when that music kicks in. The song is both subtle and dramatic, and listenting to it helps create both kinds of moments. It’s a great anthem for writers, too. Your word-count, number of followers, pile of rejection letters? It’s not everything you are.

What songs will you write to in 2012?

The next lists will be my favourite books of 2011, so look out for that! :)

2 comments:

Stephanie Allen said...

"Safe & Sound" is already on the playlist for the sequel to my current WIP. (It's the only song on that playlist, because it fits what I have in mind so perfectly, I had to make the playlist just to put this song on it, haha.)

I also have "No Light, No Light" on the playlist for my current WIP. Actually, I'm pretty sure half my playlist is just Florence songs alone, because they have this ethereal quality to them that fits the tone of my novel.

I'll also be listening to The Civil Wars and Mumford & Sons on repeat.

Brianne Carter said...

lol That sounds like a fantastic playlist ;) Florence definitely has a distinct tone, it's awesome that it fits your novel! And the Civil Wars and Mumford & Sons are always good choices :)

Post a Comment

ShareThis