Monday, May 16, 2011

SNI: Shiny or Scary New Idea?

I've known for awhile what my next novel will be. I refer to it as a Shiny New Idea, but really, it's an old idea that's recently been polished. My current project either doesn't include or doesn't focus on any of the subjects my SNI would, such as friendship, a two-girls-one-guy love triangle where it's (hopefully) not obvious which girl the guy should choose, Nova Scotia, musicians, and summer.
Of course, I don't know how the novel will turn out until I write it, but I know I can write about all the topics I listed. Aspects of the project scare me--like, uh, its lack of plot--but the subject matter doesn't. 

But recently, I had a dream which inspired me (I know, please stay with me.) I've never been inspired by a dream before, but when I woke up from that one--I honestly can't remember the dream at all--I thought, "What if I write a character who ___ ?" (I know, but this idea isn't fully fledged yet--and may never be--so the rest of this post will be ambiguous. This post isn't about the idea itself.) 

I toyed around with that idea for awhile, and tried to put it in the context of a story I abandoned last summer. It still wasn't working, so I forgot about it. Then, I listened to a song I hadn't heard in awhile, and I had to pause it after the first line because I was so struck by it, and the story it sparked in my head. Once I put the novel I abandoned, the idea from the dream, and the inspiration from the song together, I had something--not enough that I could write a practice query, or even eloquently describe it now, but enough for me to explore it. 

I'm a pantser, so what scares me the most about this idea isn't that I don't fully understand it yet, but that, unlike the SNI I discussed earlier, I don't know if I can write it. It's dark, and though my novels aren't purely fluff, they're not dark. That said, my novels do have some fluff, and anything that seems romantic in this new SNI would always have a borderline disturbing quality to it. Also, worldbuilding would be crucial in this novel (though it's still contemporary), and I am slightly terrible at worldbuilding (understatement of the year.) 

I like this idea, but I don't know if I'm the person to write it. I'm scared of it. I'd love to tell you that I'll be brave and try it after I finish my current project, but I don't know, I may not. I may stick to the safe idea--which I still like--and let this one sit for awhile. I don't know what I'll do.

And that's why I'd love to hear from anyone who has been in this situation. Have you ever had a Scary New Idea? What was it? Did you try it? Did it work? Let me know in the comments!

8 comments:

Brittany Clarke said...

I was in the same situation around this time last year when I got a scary new idea while I was working on a completely different book. The idea was so different from anything that I'd ever written that I was terrified to even think about it too hard. I tried to let it go, I really did. But I couldn't. I was obsessed with this idea, so much so that whatever inspiration or love I had for the book I was writing didn't seem as important as the idea did.

At some point, I had to make a decision between moving on with this seemingly promising new idea that I wasn't even sure I could execute, or to keep going with the book I was working on, even though my heart wasn't in it.

I think this is the part where the fact that I'm a panster comes in handy. I didn't have enough information about this new idea to tell anyone what it was about, I didn't even have all my characters. I just had the idea, the main character, and a concept. But that's all I needed to run with.

I'm not saying that I was completely confident and sure about SNI when I decided to abandon the book I was working on. I'm saying that I was scared out of my mind, so sure that this was the stupidest thing I'd ever done, and maybe it was. But I loved that scary new idea then, and I still love it now. It involves world-building and dark things that I've never written about. It's so far outside my comfort zone, but I think that's why it's the best thing I've ever written.

I hope this helps.

Unknown said...

Ooh, that's such a tough one!! I've had many a Scary New Idea - many of them still half-complete. HOWEVER, my current WIP is a mash-up of all those ideas (plants eating people, go figure) so...yeah. I know what you're going through. BUT if you're not 100% confident with expanding the new one, why not stick with the safe one until you are? Or, alternatively, TRY the scary one, if you get 3 chapters in and it isn't feeling great, leave it for a while.

Sometimes stepping outside the comfort zone suuuuuuucks, but if you don't try, you'll never know how awesome it could be!! :D GOOD LUCK!

Tracey Neithercott said...

Oh my goodness, this is exactly how I feel: "I like this idea, but I don't know if I'm the person to write it. I'm scared of it."

It's like you read my mind!

Brianne Carter said...

Brittany - Glad to know I'm not alone! Ah, I totally get what you mean when you say you were terrified to even think about it too long. I don't know if I'm more scared of where my mind will take this idea, or that it won't go anywhere. Very nice to hear a success story! Seriously, it's so awesome that it worked out that well for you, and congratulations on being brave enough to attempt it! Definitely helps, thanks! :)

Caitlin - Plants eating people is always an auto-buy for me, just saying. Both those suggestions are great. and I'm lol'ing a bit because like, I know that I don't have to stick to whichever one I start, but I guess I just want to know what I'll do when I'm done with BF (for the time being, anyway.) I imagine it'll end up being whichever one I want to write at that moment. Thanks!

Tracey - Heh, when I read your post after I wrote mine I knew we were going through something similar! Good luck! :)

KatOwens: Insect Collector said...

I think you should definitely write on it a little-- then if it's weirding you out, you can put it aside.
Do you read Mandy Hubbard's blog? She wrote one on trends today and mentioned a new one is thriller/suspense/horror, but it could be psychological more than slasher.
here's her post http://bit.ly/lvcgm9

Brianne Carter said...

KO - Thanks for the advice! I actually did read that post, and yeah, I think this story would be up at that alley. An easier sell than a contemporary, I'd imagine(especially since it's hook-ier), but of course I don't write it well that won't matter.

Linda said...

I'm going through something similar right now. I got an idea a few weeks back that is contemporary but requires lots of world building. Also it's dual POV which I haven't done for a long long time. It scares me, but the characters won't leave me alone so I'm going to try it out. Right now, I'm outlining it in my spare time and writing a few bits and pieces to test the waters.

Brianne Carter said...

Linda - My Shiny New Idea that I wasn't scared about has become dual POV, which worries me a tad. That sounds like a good plan!

Post a Comment

ShareThis