Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Teaser Tuesday

It’s my first time participating in Teaser Tuesday, and I’m quite excited! This teaser is the beginning of my current WIP, the working title of which is "Fall." I hope you like it!

Anyone who lives as much as he does would die.

But he still jumps and slides, contorts like he’s meant to be twisted, all with a smile on his face. The music stops, but he still goes.

My hands hurt. This suitcase is so heavy, all because Mom refuses to let me use anything of Moira’s, like using plastic cutlery will turn me into trailer trash. It’s ridiculous. I want to put the suitcase down, but if I move, he might stop, and I don’t want that. I want to see how far he’ll go, if he’ll go too far, if he’ll fall like I did.

My stomach hollows as he climbs on top of a dumpster. He’ll go too far. He’ll fall.

He flips instead, lands with only a small stumble. “What did you think?” he asks the girl who’s with him, the one who controlled the music. She’s short, pretty. Too pretty.

“That I need to put 9-1-1 on speed dial.”

“You’re exaggerating.”

“Bodies aren’t meant to do that. I don’t get how yours can…bend like that.” Wow. She wants in his pants.

He grins. “I’ll teach you.” Ew. That might have been really dirty.

“I like keeping my body in one piece, thanks.”

“Boring.”

My phone buzzes in my pocket, brings me out of someone else’s world and into mine. I’d rather stay in his. “Hello?”

My voice catches the attention of the dancer, but as soon as I meet his gaze, he looks away, slings his arm over his slutty friend’s shoulder, and they go inside without explanation, like it’s totally normal to dance in a parking lot.

13 comments:

Kaitlin Ward said...

I like it! I was as enthralled as your MC was :)

Unknown said...

your MC's voice is very real :)

ChristaCarol Jones said...

I was very confused as to where exactly they were until the end, but I love the voice! I still don't know what's going on but would definitely read to find out!!

Lia Victoria said...

"The music stops, but he still goes."
I don't know why, but throughout the whole thing I kept coming back to that one line. I loved it.

Writing Writerly things said...

yay for first teasers! *gives cookie* You had me at: Anyone who lives as much as he does would die.

I'm intrigued, though I agree with Christa, I was a bit confused as to where they were. Of course until I reached the end. I like the voice of your MC a lot.

LizPage said...

Love the descriptions! Awesome.

Remilda Graystone said...

I liked this too! It was great, the descriptions and there was even a bit of suspense thrown in there. I was wondering the entire time what he was doing before you cleared it up.

Welcome to Teaser Tuesdays, by the way!

Ellen said...

Congrats on your first teaser! :) It's a great one, I'd definitely keep reading to find out more about the mysterious dancer-man. And why her suitcase is so heavy ;)

Kathy Bradey said...

Love this: Anyone who lives as much as he does would die.

It pulled me in right away.

Rebecca A. Rogers said...

Wow. I'm really curious as to what he is!! Great first teaser! :D

Glen Akin said...

Oh this is good. Very good. The bending boy? Weird... I never get how ppl can do that! OOh, and welcome to teaser tuesdays! :D

Annie McElfresh said...

Welcome to Tuesday Teasers!!!

WHo is this dancer man??/ great voice!! :)

Brianne Carter said...

Kaitlin – Awesome! Thank you!

Karla – I may or may not have done a little happy dance at your comment. Thanks!

Christa – I am definitely going to clear up where they are in revisions. I’m glad you like the voice and would read on! Thanks for the help and the kind words!

Lia – I always find it so interesting when people pick out specific lines they like. Thank you!

Marilyn – Awesome, I love cookies! Thank you so much!

Liz – Thank you!

Remilda – Thanks so much for the feedback, and for the welcome!

Ellen – Thanks! I’m glad you’d keep reading!

Kathy – Whee, lots of happy dances happening with these comments. Thanks!

Becca – Thank you so much!

Glen – Thanks for the feedback and the welcome!
Annie – Thank you!

Post a Comment

ShareThis