Saturday, May 8, 2010

Writing Rules

On the Playlist: Oh Well - Fiona Apple

I have learned extremely valuable lessons from writers’ forums and communities, including the following rules:

• Young Adult novels should be written in first person (someone tell JK Rowling!), but a first time novelist shouldn’t write in first person (someone tell Sarah Dessen!).
• First person present is always bad. It is accepted more in the YA genre, but we all know YA writers are on the crack.
• You can’t use multiple narrators in first person. You know, unless you’re Jodi Picoult.
• You can’t write about sex, drugs, or anything else that teenagers actually go through.
• Too much dialogue is bad, unless you’re writing YA. But, again, we all know YA writers are on the crack.
• You can’t write YA if you’re young.
• You can’t write YA if you’re old.

I know now that all rules for writers come with an unless you do it well at the end. But, I didn’t when I started my search. So, I’ve come up with one rule that won’t confuse or panic any new writers, and still tells them all they need to know:

Write well.

What are some other writing rules that should never be broken, unless they’re done well?

2 comments:

Lia Victoria said...

Oh, but it's just too true. After receiving so much advice, I finally had to realize I didn't give a gnarled, smelly bum about any of it before I was able to write again.

Nice post :]

Brianne Carter said...

And good thing, because a gnarled, smelly bum is a lot to give!

Thanks!

Post a Comment

ShareThis