Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Teaser Tuesday

I've been a bad blogger this week, thanks to job hunting and illness stealing my time. I should get back on track this week, starting with a quick teaser today!

So, in the last teaser Darren was visiting Callie in the hospital after the accident. Since then, she's visited Chase, and she's now looking for her aunt so she can finally go home. But, before she finds her aunt, she runs into Terri (kind of her friend/Chase's best friend), and the teaser is their conversation. The math/cooking reference refers to their first conversation. Hope you like it!

Before I find Moira, I see Terri. She’s a mess, looks like she was in the accident too. She sees me, so I wave, and she looks at me like how could you wave right now you heartless skank? Or something to that effect.

The look stays, but she hugs me. I’m hugged all the time, but not like this. This hug is shockingly sober, honest, and a little desperate. I feel it, but don’t return it. Too much vulnerability for one night.

“I made pot brownies.”

I’d kind of expected an how are you? considering the circumstances, but nothing has been how it’s supposed to be tonight. “Excuse me?” I ask as I break the hug.

“You know that guy who’s always baked in Home Ec.?” she asks me, and I nod. Doesn’t do much for his baking skills, though. “Well, I bought some weed off him forever ago—really bad day—and then Darren, of all people, calls me about the crash and I just want to bake and I remember the weed—”

“Breathe.”

“—So I go online and get this recipe, but I was out of eggs and so not in the mood to drive to the store, so I thought ok, I’ll just use more pot instead.”

“That doesn’t make sense.”

“I know!” She looks away from me and tells the walls, “I got it wrong, Callie.”

“Got what wrong?”

“The recipe. I didn't have eggs. When you get math wrong, you have a second chance—”

“But if you screw up a recipe, you don’t get a second chance.”

“Exactly. And I just broke down because Chase got the recipe right, and life still didn’t work out the way it was supposed to for him.”

All because of me.

14 comments:

Debra Driza said...

Love this! Not surprising, since I've loved all your MDW snips from this, too. There are always so many layers in your writing, and I love how messing up the brownie recipe has a deeper meaning. (plus, love the touches of humor, too--"Breathe", lol) Awesome! :)

Karla Calalang said...

This is so great! And awww last line is so heartbreaking :(

LizPage said...

Hope you're feeling better!
I just love when you tease from this. The dialogue is just so honest and incredible. More please :)

Unknown said...

I just love this convo between the characters...it was just honest and real and made me smile :)

Remilda Graystone said...

This was an interesting tease. I liked how the recipe was actually a reference to what happened to Chase. I liked this, though. The dialogue is great and pulls me immediately. It makes the characters feel real.

J.S. Wood said...

This is awesome dialogue and I really love the parallel that seems to be going on!

Amanda said...

So fabulous! Everything about it, really.

Ellen said...

This dialogue is so great. It sounds realistic and truthful and I just love the characters already. More please!

Anonymous said...

Awww, I love this! I love the randomness of their conversation and kind of having been in the same situation, I can only say it's totally true to life, because there's so much random shit that pops into your head when you get really bad news. Great snip, really want to read more of this :)

Anonymous said...

The dialogue starts out almost funny "I made pot brownies" and then it turns out so heartbreaking.

Anonymous said...

It's beautiful and sad and funny at the same time... The layers are really intense in such a short amount of time... Awesome

Glen Akin said...

If I could give a gold star right now I would! This is so freaking awesome! The dialogue play is amazing! And it's emotionally intact as well as funny. Lol I loved this very much :D

S.H. said...

I love this. Your writing is very refreshing and the dialogue rocks. Wonderful snip!

Brianne Carter said...

hound - Aw, thank you! You know that I love all your MDW snips too! Yay, the comment about layers makes me happy :) You're too nice; thank you!

Karla - Thanks so much!

Liz - I am (well obviously, it's been a week now, but I was better then too :P), thank you! Thanks, I love your teasers too! Oh good, since like 70% of my WIP is dialogue lol. Thanks!

Karla - Awesome, thank you! :)

Remilda - Again, I love that people like the dialogue! Thank you!

J.S. - Thanks so much!

Amanda - Yay, thank you! :)

Ellen - I'm so glad that you love the dialogue and characters! Thanks!

dysto - Sorry to hear you were in a similar situation :( But glad my writing rings true! Thank you!

Sage - I wonder sometimes if I transistion from funny to angsty too much/too quickly, so I hope that's a good thing :P Thanks for the comment!

Leasie - Thank you so much! :)

Glen - I'm going to channel my inner Rachel Berry and say that stars are kind of my thing :) :P Thank you so much!

Stephanie - Awesome, thanks so much!

Post a Comment

ShareThis