Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Teaser Tuesday

On the Playlist: Love, Save the Empty - Erin McCarley

Before I tease, I want to sincerely thank everyone who commented on my first teaser. As excited I was to tease, I was equally nervous, but you were all so nice and helpful! I’ll go through and reply to each comment individually later today, but I just wanted to offer everyone a huge thank you :)

So, today’s tease! It’s another from my current WIP “Fall.” There’s definitely some context needed for this one. Callie (my MC), Chase (dancer dude from the last tease), and Darren (Callie’s friend-with-benefits) were all in a car crash together. Callie’s fine, Darren sprained his arm, and all they know at this point about Chase is that he’s alive. In this scene, Darren sees Callie for the first time after the accident. Also, Callie built a fort in the hospital because her and her brother, Trevor, used to build forts and hide from the world in them.

This a fairly rough draft, and pretty (possibly too) dialogue heavy:

Darren comes into my fort, nearly destroying it in the process. He fixes it with his good arm—it’s so weird that he has a good arm now—and says, “That’s the worst thing I’ve ever done, and I’ve done a lot of crap.”

Has he ever. I’d tell him it’s not his fault, but it’s better than it being my fault. “How is he?”

“All I know is he’s stable,” Darren says, like it’s a relief. It’s not. I always knew he was alive. I just need to see him move. Then, I’ll know he’s ok. “The doctors can only release details to family members.”

“That’s dumb.”

“I know.”

“How’s your arm?” I ask.

He hasn’t looked at me yet. “I don’t care about my arm.”

“Yeah, neither do I.”

“So, you’re fine, right?” Darren asks. “I mean, you look fine, but you’re not messed up inside or anything?”

There’s a loaded question. “I’m a little beat up, but I’m fine.”

“That’s good.”

“No, it’s not.”

He doesn’t question it. “I have to go soon. My dad’s here, just filling out some paperwork.”

“Your dad is here?” I ask. Darren’s dad, though technically still with his mom, is never home. It’s not because he’s some deadbeat; it’s because his wife is a mess who likes needles. Darren doesn’t blame him, but maybe he should.

“Well, my mom’s probably in a hospital somewhere too, so he’s really all I have.”

Darren and I have more in common than I want to admit. He has no one, and I have no one. Loneliness is a weird thing to share with someone.

We used to have each other.

“I’m sad, Darren.”

“I know, this sucks—”

“No. I’ve been sad.”

We’ve never been quiet for so long.

“Me too.”

“Last time I was happy was freshman year,” I tell him. “You know, when I still had you. Once I lost you, I had no one.”

Honesty with Darren, honesty with anyone, scares me, especially since he won’t look at me. But, things are different in a fort. When I was in a fort with Trevor, it was like we were the only people in the world, so we had to trust each other. It’s the same now. I have to trust Darren.

“I don’t get that, Callie. I’ve always been here.”

“For my body, maybe, but not for me.”

He still won’t look at me, and I don’t think he’ll say anything either, so I continue. “After we had sex, it was so weird, it was like my body didn’t belong to me. You took it, and left me with the rest of me.”

“What’s the rest of you?”

“Just…me.” I don’t want to say what I need to say, but I’m alone with Darren in the world, so I better trust him. “You know, my heart.”

Silence.

“I have to go,” Darren says, and moves to leave the fort.

He’s almost gone, but before he leaves he says, “I couldn’t have taken your heart. Would’ve been in the wrong hands.”

“How do you know?”

“I know my hands.”

Darren leaves. I destroy the fort. Honesty is overrated.

Tonight sucks.

11 comments:

Angelica R. Jackson said...

Hi, I'm a newbie at the Teaser Tuesday also, just posted my first one.

I do think you could condense/combine some sections of dialogue in this, but I had a better sense of place from this teaser than in your first one. The imagery is great, but I wanted to know where/when I was earlier in the dancing scene.

In this scene, you've done a good job of establishing the characters and their conflicts. I would read more.

LizPage said...

Awww. This just killed me. I adore the fort idea and your imagery is awesome. I actually like the dialogue. It's pretty normal - we talk a lot in real life lol - and since this is just a tease, it could be surrounded by heavy imagery scenes. Some people cringe when they just see paragraphs without dialogue breaks.

Nice tease :)

Phoebe North said...

This is awesome. I love the intimacy of the scene and the emotional honesty.

Ellen said...

Great imagery, and even though the MC really opens up in what I guess is an uncharacteristic way for her, it feels realistic the way she does it. "You took it, and left me with the rest of me.” <-- just had to say that I loved that line. :)

Kate Hart said...

I like the dialogue too-- her answers aren't ever what I expected. The intimacy of the fort is a really nice scene setter, too.

Unknown said...

loved this: “I couldn’t have taken your heart. Would’ve been in the wrong hands.”

“How do you know?”

“I know my hands.”

bclement412 said...

The imagery is lovely, and the dialogue superb. I can't wait to read more of your teasers!

VĂ©ro L said...

LOVE the lines Karla pointed out already! <3 Also nice setting with the fort.

Unknown said...

I feel so bad for her! Honesty isn't always the best policy, clearly, and forts don't change that. I hope they work things out! Great tease!

Annie McElfresh said...

Awe poor girl!! Love the setting, and I wonder about the two of them now. Great job!

Brianne Carter said...

Angelica - Hi fellow newbie! :) Yeah, I write A LOT of dialogue, so I definitely know I'll have to tighten it up in Revision Land. Thanks for the kind words and help; I'm glad you'd read more :)

Liz - I'm glad you like the fort idea, because it's a bit of a recurring symbol. Thanks for offering your opinion on the dialogue! I am so one of those people who cringes when I just see paragraphs without dialogue breaks lol. My work can definitely be too dialogue-heavy too. Anyway, thanks muchly!

Phoebe - Cool, thank you! :D

Ellen - Ah yay, I'm so glad it feels realistic, because you're right, it is a little OOC for her. Thank you!

Kate - Glad you liked the dialogue. Thank you! :)

Karla - Glad you loved that part, thanks! :D

bclement - Awesome, thanks so much!

V.M. - Thanks so much!

Caitlin - Thank you so much :)

Annie - Thank you! :D

Post a Comment

ShareThis