Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Teaser Tuesday

On the Playlist: All I Need - Matt Kearny

It's time for another teaser from Building Forts! In this one, Chase is giving Callie her first dance lesson. It's also the first time he's ever taught in a wheelchair. Hope you like it!

---

The studio is so much smaller than I expected. Way too small to grow in.

But it takes Chase forever to get from one side to the other.

I should ask him if he’s ok, if he wants to go home, if he’s scared. I won’t, though. Don’t really want to know the answers.

“Should we get started?” I ask.

“Not much else to do,” Chase says. He sounds so…not happy. Unhappy. Whatever. It’s just not good. “You need to warm up.”’

Then he waits, like I know what I’m supposed to do. I zip up my hoodie.

I think he might laugh, but instead, like a true teacher, he says, “Are you taking this seriously? Because I really don’t want to put myself through this if it’s all a joke to you.”

He shouldn’t have to ask that. And being with me, even in the worst of circumstances, shouldn’t be something he has to go through. “Of course I’m serious about it. But we can have fun too, right?

He looks at the floor and shakes his head. Don’t know why he’s communicating with the floor and not with me. “Yeah, I’m sorry. It’s just harder than I thought it would be to be back here.”

Look at me. “I’m sorry.”

“Yeah. Here, let me guide you through some stretches."

The warm-up starts easily enough. Head up, head left, head down, head right. Roll shoulders forward, roll them back.

Touch your toes.

I almost touch my ankles.

“What are you doing?” Chase asks when I finish. “You didn’t touch your toes.”

“I can’t.”

“You barely tried. Fight for it.”

“With what, a gun?”

He smiles this time, thankfully. “No. Look, once you realize that you’re the only one putting limits on your body, you’ll realize you’re the only one putting limits on yourself. Make sense?”

Yeah, in a perfect world. But, I’m pretty sure biology put some limits on my body, and people put a lot of limits on me. “Yeah.”

I touch my ankles.

We do some more stretches, and by the end of the warm-up my body hates me almost as much as I hate it. “Are dancers masochists?”

Chase grins. It’s such a nice sight. “Kind of. It hurts, I know, but the stretching makes the dancing easier.”

“Even if I’m in so much pain I feel like I can’t move?”

Wrong words. Worst words in the world. "I'm so sor--"

"You'll never know what that feels like." Chase is talking to the floor again.

21 comments:

Unknown said...

"Fight for it." "With what, a gun?" ahahahahaa! great byplay between the characters...im wondering how he came to be in a wheelchair though.

Rebecca A. Rogers said...

OMG I didn't know he was in a wheelchair!! How awful! I love, love, love this dialogue. It seemed so real. I was immediately sucked in. :D

deltay said...

Great character interaction! Now I'm curious too about how he ended up in a wheelchair?

Kaitlin Ward said...

love it! I was hooked.

Brianne Carter said...

Individual thank yous are to come, but first I'd like to thank you all for being kind and ignoring the typo in the last sentence :P I proofread this a million times, then decided right before I posted to add the last sentence, so that wasn't proofread lol.

Chase was in a car accident. Callie was in it too, but Chase was sitting in the back of a truck using a pizza boxes as a makeshift seat, so he wasn't that protected.

LizPage said...

Ugh I just love the voice so much. And it makes me wince a little because I had a good friend that was in a truck bed that flipped and he's paralyzed now. I think you captured it so well though, just trying to keep going no matter how much it sucks.

Debra Driza said...

Awesome snip, Bri! Love the touches of humor, and also the emotional impact that last bit has. Poor Callie and Chase!

Kate Hart said...

Yikes, what a horrible foot-in-mouth moment!

karen yuan said...

Ooh, awesomely tense scene. I was drawn in right away by the opening lines. Also, "Are dancers masochists?" --> I love this sentence!

Basically, THIS IS REALLY GOOD KEEP IT UP. :D

Ellen said...

GREAT dialogue! I love the back-and-forth between them, and the underlying tension in this scene. That ending... ouch >.< I winced for her.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to have to remember the "only one putting limits on your body" line when I workout tomorrow ;)

Good dialogue

Anonymous said...

I really love the whole premise of this. Great flow and voice as always. I love how you deal with the awkwardness and character dynamics, lovely.

Unknown said...

Oh how awkward!! The last sentence really made me cringe, the poor thing :( your characters are so awesome, keep up the good work!

J.S. Wood said...

Oh no, poor Chase! Very nice snip!!!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the explanation about Chase! I was wondering...

Also, I gave you an award over on my blog :)

Ellen said...

P.S. - I gave you a blog award :D

Remilda Graystone said...

This was funny. I liked the dialogue a lot. Your main character's voice is always so clear and fresh.

Glen Akin said...

This teaser is a stuff of beauty. Your MC's voice comes alive. So vivid and entertaining. Loved, loved, loved this!

Karla Calalang said...

(sorry this is late)

You know I love this WIP :D

Callie's voice is so great, and I can feel the awkwardness between them. I hope things turn out better for them!

juli said...

Okay, so I went back to read some of your older teasers, because I thought the one you posted today was really awesome.

AND.

You're writing about dance?!!? That's amazing! My WIP is about dancing too (although from the snips you've posted, in a very different way than yours is). :) Yay for dance!

Brianne Carter said...

Karla - Thank you!

Becca - Glad you like the dialogue, thanks!

deltay - Thanks :)

Kaitlin - Thank you!

Liz - I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. Thank you.

hound - Thank you!

Kate - Definitely!

Karen - Thanks :)

Ellen - I winced too! Thank you!

Sage - lol Yes, I wish I could believe that as much as Chase does. Thank you!

dysto - Thanks so much!

Caitlin - Thank you!

J.S. - Thanks!

Remilda - Glad you like the voice, thank you!

Glen - You're too nice to me. Thank you!

Karla - lol I'm always late, it's cool. Thanks!

Juli - Aw, thanks for doing that! AND YES, DANCE DORKS FTW :D

Post a Comment

ShareThis