Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Teaser Tuesday

Hi guys! I’m super busy today with a job interview and Glee finale celebrations (!!!), so I probably won’t get to all the teasers today. I promise that I will get to all of them eventually, though!

So, today’s teaser. Callie and Chase are a couple now. Darren flipped out at her because he thinks she’s dating him because she feels guilty about the accident. Terri flipped out at because she thinks Callie’s dating him so she can make dating the dude in a wheelchair her good-deed-of-the day. So, after those two fights Callie left school, and went to the hospital to see Chase. This is their visit.

---

“Darren’s a jerk.”

Chase looks at me like I just told him the sky is blue. “That’s not exactly breaking news.”

He looks so tired, as he should. We were up all night. Still, adrenaline caused by pissed-off-ness and caffeine run through me, make me wired, make me awake, make me alive.

“It is to me,” I say. My words are quick, because if I don’t tell this to someone, I might forget, and this is too important. “I always thought that it was me. That he wouldn’t love me or date me or even be my friend after we had sex because there was something wrong with me.”

“Callie—"

“So, I changed myself. It was easy, really. Shorter skirts, tighter tops. Always laugh too loudly. Drink a lot, have a lot of sex. Don’t ever tell anyone that you’re sad, ever, or even that you’re happy. Only feel what you’re supposed to feel. Anything else isn’t real.”

“What’s—”

“But what I didn’t get was that my feelings were real, and it was that stupid world that was fake. And, you know what? Darren still didn’t like me. It’s not me. It was never me. He’s just such a douchebag.”

I feel like I dry-swallowed a pill, and it’s stuck in my throat. It hurts, but it’ll make me better. It hurts, because I lost my virginity to a douchebag. It’ll make me better, because now I know he’s a douchebag.

I wish he was here so I could call him a douchebag over and over again.

“I don’t know what you’re saying.”

That’s fair. Chase doesn’t know that entire school thinks I’m an awful, slutty wackjob, and he doesn’t have to. “I’m saying,” I explain, “That I’m not me, because I changed for him. Now, I want to go back. I need to figure out who I am now. Find out what’s real.”

Cheesy, but he should get the point. “That’s,” he pauses, “Great? Terrifying? What?”

“Both, and a little more. And, I need you.”

This is the hard part. Chase’s eyebrows furrow, which makes sense. He can’t move, so he can’t do many favours. All I need for this one, though, is his heart.

“Judy told me that you tell your dancers to discover, accept, and express their feelings.” I hope he notices that I used tell instead of told. Chase turns red. “Yeah, it’s right out of a self-help book, but it’s good. That’s what I need to do.”

“What do you need me for?” he asks.

“Well, they do that through dance, with your help. So, I thought maybe you could help me.”

“You want me to teach you?”

“Yeah.”

8 comments:

Ellen said...

Tense scene. I like it. You really understand the MC's struggle, what she's deciding to put herself through. :)

Amanda said...

This reads really well! The voice comes through. Nice!

Annie McElfresh said...

You had me from Darren's a jerk! LOL Great snip, count me hooked! LOL

Anonymous said...

Great flow of dialogue here, I really like how you convey a lot of conflict and backstory through dialogue. Lovely snip :)

Unknown said...

Urgh, I'm so glad she's realised how stupid Darren is! Your teasers continue to keep me hooked, and this was no exception! Awesome snippet! :D

LizPage said...

OMG Glee!!!! Tell me you already watched it because if not this is a total spoiler - the Bohemian Rhapsody/Quinn scene was amazing. Can't believe they still lost :(

Anywayyy
I feel like I dry-swallowed a pill, and it’s stuck in my throat. It hurts, but it’ll make me better. It hurts, because I lost my virginity to a douchebag. It’ll make me better, because now I know he’s a douchebag.
That paragraph is SO amazing.

Remilda Graystone said...

This scene made me feel so bad for you character, but also feel good for her because she's just realized Darren's a douchebag and that she's not being herself. I like the voice. I think I said that before, but I have to say it again. Callie's voice is great. It sounds so natural and the dialogue is smooth.

Brianne Carter said...

Ellen - Thank you so much!

Amanda - Yay, thank you!

Annie - Whee, glad you're hooekd! Thanks muchly!

dysto - Yay, I'm glad you like the dialgoue since I'm a dialogue whore :P Thanks!

Caitilin - I'M SO GLAD TOO. I was ready to slap some sense into her. So glad you're hooked, thanks so much!

Liz - I DID THAT WAS A BRILLIANT SCENE. Best moment was Quinn yelling "YOU SUCK YOU SUCK YOU SUCK" :P I'm glad you liked that paragraph, thanks!

Remilda - Exactly how I want you to feel, awesome :) And I'm so glad you like the voice! Thanks so much!

Post a Comment

ShareThis