Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Teaser Tuesday

I wasn’t going to tease today, but I really have no idea how people will respond to this scene, and want to find out. I apologize because I won’t get to read the teasers until tonight, but I promise that I will read and comment on all of them eventually.

Guys, this a weird scene that I’m not sure will even make the final draft because, well, it’s strange. But I had so much fun writing it :P Just so you know, this scene is pretty blunt about sexual issues, so if that makes you uncomfortable stop reading now. The context is that Chase is paralyzed; thus, he can’t get boners. Terri (Chase’s best friend/Callie’s frienemy) told Callie this. Callie and Chase were fooling around, and Callie was very aware that Chase never got a boner. This teaser is her doing her best to address her concerns with Chase.

I feel like this is right on the thin line between stupid and funny, so I want to know what side it's leaning towards. In other words, be honest, and tell me if you think it's stupid. Thanks!

---

And I wonder if he’s turned on by me, if the boner story was a cover-up for the fact that Chase likes me a lot more than his dick does. I want to ask him, but what do I say? Hey Chase, I was just wondering why you don’t have a boner?

There’s probably a better way to go about it, like a Sex Ed. answer—the truth wrapped in a weird analogy so students know what’s up and so parents don’t sue the school for educating their kids about something that will actually affect them.

“Bananas,” I say.

Chase is already red. Most kids picked up on the whole hey-bananas-look-like-dicks thing before Sex Ed., but it became bad when we all had to try and put a condom on one in class, and the guys who couldn’t realized they’d never get laid by anyone at our school.

“Think of a banana,” I continue. “That’s just like chilling there, limp and mushy.”

Chase looks down.

“And then he sees this apple, who is really juicy. You know, she’s a good apple. When the banana sees her, he perks right up and hardens.”

To illustrate this, I pretty much mime what happens when someone gets a boner. Chase looks at me like Mike did when he couldn’t get the condom on his banana. This might not have been the best idea.

“Anyway, that banana continues on his way, and a different mushy banana meets the same apple. This banana agrees that she’s a good apple, but he doesn’t perk up and harden like the first banana did.”

I’m too far gone to stop now.

“The apple wonders why the banana didn’t ripen like the other one did—”

“Calliepleasestop.”

“Like, was it because the banana didn’t like her enough to ripen for her, or because the banana had already rotted?”

We’re quiet for a really, really long time.

A really long time.

“Terri told you?” Chase asks.

“That you can’t get boners? Yeah.”

16 comments:

Bidisha said...

OH.
MY.
GOD.
This is honest and hilarious and I just LOVE it!

Nomes said...

Oh.

this is just so awkward. I can really sense the tension in the scene and that feeling you get when you've gone too far to stop.

how embarrassing. But utterly compelling.

really feeling for chase right now. haha.

x

Unknown said...

Oh the poor thing!! This is so hilarious, Bri, please keep it!! These two are so cute and awkward and sweet, it's the epitome of teenagerdom!

I repeat: PLEASE KEEP IT! If it gets slammed by the editor who WILL read this, blame me, I don't care. Just don't cut it!! X

Vee said...

HILARIOUS. Most definitely keep it.

bethany griffin said...

I thought it was funny, but it also made me cringe. However, in the larger context of the story, I'd probably be okay with it. Like I can stay with a cringeworthy scene if I know the characters...does that make sense? I would keep it.

Emilia Plater said...

This is hilarious, omfg. Just the opening line made me laugh out loud. I can see this exact conversation happening with people at my school. Genius fruit metaphors ;) <33

Unknown said...

this is freaking funny...and a little sad! i feel really bad for Chase :(

Rachael said...

Wow awkward. Poor Chase!! That being said, I still can't stop laughing. Definitely keep it =D

Phoebe North said...

Please keep it! This is so honest and realistic and perfect.

Glen Akin said...

LMAO!!! OH i loooooved this! Hahahaha! Your MC is now one of the most amazing MCs ever! And I want to hang out with her! She's so funny! Lol! She really did that? HAHAHAHA! The bananas analogy is simply bananas! I'm laughing so hard here! Great teaser! lmao!

LizPage said...

OMG I just love the way this is handled. Hysterical and adorable.

karen yuan said...

HAHAHA definitely keep this! It's just so awkward and lulz-worthy and realistic. Oh, Chase.

Angelica R. Jackson said...

I vote a keeper, too. The only problem I see is that being paralyzed does not automatically mean he can't get it up . . . see http://www.christopherreeve.org/site/c.mtKZKgMWKwG/b.4453431/k.A0C5/Sexuality_for_Men.htm

Brianne Carter said...

Thanks SO much everyone. Individual replies are coming, but I wanted to say this now in case anyone else was wondering:

Angelica - Thanks for the link! It's much less confusing the ones I read when researching this chapter :P I go into detail about his condition in an earlier chapter, and Terri explains exactly what Chase can and can't do to Callie. So you're right, it's not as simple as "he can't get it up", but to Callie it is. I just didn't include the details in the context so I wouldn't bore all of you :P

Raven M said...

OMG. I LOVE this. Really funny, and like so many other people said: Keep it. Seriously. It's compelling and true and just so freaking awesome. So glad I got to this before you took it down. ^_^

Brianne Carter said...

Caitlin - Aww, I'm so glad you think Callie and Chase are cute and awkward and sweet :P I love them in all their teenageness *squishes them*. LOL ok, if an editor ever looks at this and is like WTF is with the banana scene, I will tell them you're why it's in there :P

Vee - Thank you!

Bethany - Definitely makes sense! Thanks!

Emilia - Yay, thank you!

Karla - Thank you!

Horserider - Thanks!

Phoebe - Thank you :)

Glen - lmao I'm glad you love Callie so much. Thanks so much!

Liz - Thank you!

Karen - Thanks!

Angelica - Thank you!

Raven - Whee, thanks! :D

THANKS SO MUCH EVERYONE. I am definitely keeping it.

Post a Comment

ShareThis