Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Road Trip Wednesday: Who's Your Comp?

"Road Trip Wednesday is a "Blog Carnival," where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing-or reading-related question and answer it on our own blogs. You can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic."

This Week's Topic: Who are your comp titles/authors?
 
I had a hard time with this question for Building Forts. I don't think it's so unique that there are no books like it, but I'm just not sure I can recognize when a book is like mine. There is, however, one book that came to mind:

 Cracked Up to Be by Courtney Summers was the first book that came to mind when I read this week's prompt. The relationship between Parker and Chris reminded me so much of the relationship between Callie and Darren, while the relationship between Parker and Jake reminded me of the relationship between Callie and Chase. It's still a stretch, especially the comparison with Parker and Jake, but the contrast between the two relationships is something I have in my novel. Also, Parker's snark reminded me of Callie.

The answer to this question was easy for the novel I plan to write for NaNoWriMo, Like a Bad Country Song. Of course, this is based on the outline alone, so things may change when I start to write:

 The Sky Always Hears Me and the Hills Don't Mind by Kirstin Cronn-Mills. A "perfect", but boring boyfriend. A boy a character shouldn't be with but really, really wants to be with. A strong relationship with a grandmother. These are all aspects of Like a Bad Country Song, though the issues are handled differently in my novel and Cronn-Mills'. However, the biggest similarity between my novel and The Sky Always Hears Me and the Hills Don't Mind is a small town, and more importantly, the overwhelming desire to just get out of it.

What books can you compare to your novels?

10 comments:

Abby Stevens said...

I'm just not sure I can recognize when a book is like mine.

Very true!

And the cover for THE SKY is gorgeous!

KatOwens: Insect Collector said...

this is great-- well done!

NiaRaie said...

Sounds very interesting! I loved Cracked up to Be and the other book sounds cool too.

Angelica R. Jackson said...

Uh oh--I haven't read either of those. More additions to my already-long reading list?

Kara said...

LOVE Courtney Summers :)

Leila Austin said...

I sometimes find it hard to recognise which novels are most like mine as well.

I'm especially curious about the sound of The Sky Always Hears Me and the Hills Don't Mind and the WIP you compared it with. Happy NaNoing :-)

Bidisha said...

Two of my favourite books, especially SKY!

Amanda Hannah said...

LOVE THE SKY ALWAYS HEARS ME.

I had trouble thinking of comps for my writing as well lol

Brianne Carter said...

Abby - Is it ever a gorgeous cover. I'm so in love with that book.

KO - Thanks!

Nia - :) Read SKY. It's so incredible.

Angelica - YES. Add them to your list. They're both so incredible.

Kara - Yay Courtney love <3

Leila - Glad I'm not alone on that. And yes people, read SKY. It's so good.

Bee - Yay SKY love!

Amanda - Eep, more SKY love! <3

Melissa (i swim for oceans) said...

I don't really know what books can compare to mine - not that mine is particularly original, but you know? Maybe a dystopian novel like Matched? Even that isn't like it though haha

Post a Comment

ShareThis