Saturday, October 30, 2010

Soundtrack Saturday: Daytrotter

On the Playlist: Girl in the Moon - Everly

Soundtrack Saturday is a weekly series where I'll share a safe and legal resource where you can download and/or stream free music. These resources are great ways to discover new music to add to your writing playlist!

Just a quick note, I will go on and on about how awesome these resources are because they're awesome, not because I'm affiliated with them in any way. I just want to share these awesome resources with awesome people.

This Week's Website: Daytrotter

I had an hour commute to and from work over the summer, and was  desperate to update my iPod with new music that I could fall in love with on the ride. The problem was that I needed a website that offered downloads of music by indie bands, both ones I knew and ones I didn't, that wouldn't empty my bank account. Not the easiest thing to find. But, I stumbled upon Daytrotter one day, and it was an even better website than what I'd hoped to find.

Daytrotter has artists stop at their studio to record sessions (usually from three to five songs), then uploads those sessions for the public to download at no cost.

What Artists are on Daytrotter?
 Ever heard of Tegan & Sara? Vampire Weekend? Ingrid Michaelson? Though you expect a website like this to feature indie artists, part of you expects they will be indie artists you've never heard of. That's not the case with Daytrotter. They have a great mixture of popular indie artists (oxymoron?) and indie artists who aren't as well known. So, you can download some sessions by artists you already know and love, as well as discover some fantastic new music. Personally, I was sold when I saw that William Fitzsimmons, The Swell Season, Brett Dennen, Greg Laswell, Blind Pilot, and Amos Lee had sessions. I also discovered the incredible artists Dawes and Lissie through Daytrotter.

What You Should Know about Daytrotter
  • When you download a session from Daytrotter, you have to install a downloader. Daytrotter will guide you through the process, and the downloader is completely safe.
  • All Daytrotter sessions come with beautiful cover art that will appear on your iPod.
  • The quality of the sessions can vary. Most are of good quality, but a few are of lower quality.
  • All Daytrotter sessions come with information about the artist, but not in the way you might expect. Instead of boring biographies, Daytrotter uses beautiful prose.
  • There's a new session every day. You'll never be without new music. 
  • You can follow Daytrotter on Twitter at twitter.com/@realdaytrotter

You Tell Me... 
Have you used Daytrotter? What do you like/dislike about it? Favourite sessions? Discovered any new music through the website? If you haven't used Daytrotter yet, will you look into it now?

Also, do you like the idea of Soundtrack Saturday? Are there are any safe and legal resources which offer free music that you'd like me to cover?

Let me know in the comments!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis