Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Teaser Tuesday

Hi guys! It’s been awhile since I’ve teased, thanks to the fact that I’ve entered Revision Land. My first draft is so close to being finished, but I didn’t want to write the actual end until I’d sorted out the mess that was the beginning. Now that’s done, and I’m back to finishing the first draft, so I have new material to tease.

Callie and Chase are spending the weekend alone in a hotel room together so they can attend a dance convention that Chase is teaching at. It’s his first real teaching job since he became paralyzed. Callie knows that if all goes well, Chase won’t need her anymore. This scene is the night before that class.

I definitely won’t have time to read all the teasers tonight, but I promise that I will read and comment on each one eventually.

---

Chase moves me, and then he kisses me. It’s so hard and deep and full that I’m sure the world’s moving around us, but his kiss has enough power to keep me as still as he has to be.

Wow.

I don’t care anymore. I don’t care that tomorrow will change us, that I don’t click with his friends, that I don’t know what either of us will be doing after graduation, that I’m still a stupid, spoiled, slutty girl to everyone but Chase, that I lost my virginity to the world’s biggest douchebag, that I lost my best friend because I lost my virginity, that Moira doesn’t care about me, that my parents probably resent me for how selfish I was this year, that Chase is paralyzed, that I’m why he’s paralyzed, or that even after all these dance lessons and conversations and moments that seemed to matter, I’m still a mess of a person.

I care about Chase. And he’s kissing me and he's great, and together we’re great, and with him I’m great, and if I think about tomorrow now and how ungreat it will be my heart will actually, physically break.

But Chase keeps kissing me, so I push tomorrow out of my mind, out of us, out of our moment.

“You’re, uh,” I say when he comes up for air, and then feel stupid. Words aren’t enough for this moment. I need confetti, or firecrackers, or an earthquake because gosh that’s what this feels like, like everything’s shifting and shaking under me and I have no control. I just have to change as the earth does. “You’re like an earthquake.”

“Destructive?” he breathes the word into my mouth and I cream my pants.

“No,” I say. “Changing.”

Chase’s eyes widen at this, and after one, sweet kiss, he leaves my body.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Bri, this is beautiful! I'm so in love with these two - Callie seems so empty, and Chase fits her so well. I'm glad they're together, at least for this tiny snippet :)

juli said...

This is adorable! I love Callie's voice and the rhythm of your writing, especially when you break from stream-of-consciousness style back into the short, choppy sentences. And "ungreat" is awesome, haha. I wanna know what happens next!

Unknown said...

This is very well done! Great snip :)

Angelica R. Jackson said...

Lovely and thrilling at the same time!

Angie said...

Love this part: I need confetti, or firecrackers, or an earthquake because gosh that’s what this feels like, like everything’s shifting and shaking under me and I have no control. And the whole thing at the end was just awesome. Good luck with revisions. :)

Karla Calalang said...

Wow, this was really beautiful! I loved the way it was written. Awesome stuff! Good luck with revisions! *cough can I beta cough cough*

:D

juli said...

^ *coughiwouldalsobewillingtobeta* *hack* *cough* ;)

Something in the air on this blog...

Tina said...

Wow, is this an actual book, or is it one that you're writing? Because it sounds amazing...you've got a lot of talent there!
Fingers crossed that I may see this as a book in the future. :D

Brianne Carter said...

Caitlin - I'm so glad you love them :P :)

Juli- Thanks so much!

Karla - Thank you! :D

Angelica - Thanks!

Angie - I'm glad you love that part, it was one of those things where I wondered if it made sense to anyone but me :P Thank you!

Karla - Thanks so much! It'll still be awhile before I'm ready for betas (my first draft really is a mess, with a few missing scenes and a timeline that makes no sense :P), but when the time comes I'd be thrilled to have you as a beta :) Same for you, Juli. I'll definitely make a post asking/begging for betas in the future :P :)

Tina- It's the one I'm writing with the hopes of it becoming an actual book one day. Thanks so much!

Post a Comment

ShareThis