Thursday, December 30, 2010

Best of 2010: Music and Television

I have a slight obsession with end-of-the-year specials, so it's only fitting that I do a Best of 2010 miniseries on this blog. Today, I'll talk about my favourite music and television of 2010, and tomorrow I'll talk about my favourite books published and read in 2010.

Music
Best Albums Released in 2010         

Taylor Swift - Speak Now
I wrote a post in November about how Taylor Swift is one of my inspirations, in which I talked a bit about my love for her newest album, Speak Now. Well, I've listened to it a lot since then, and it's become one of my favourite CDs to write to. It's just such an honest representation of a young adult's life. I've added the entire CD to my playlist for BUILDING FORTS, because at least one of my characters has felt what Taylor sings about.


Maroon 5 - Hands All Over
My love for Maroon 5 tends to surprise people, because I'm a bit of a prude, and...well, just look at the cover art. But, their slower songs are incredible (seriously), and to be blunt, the rest of their music turns me on. I'm a prude, but I'm human. Maroon 5 tends to release their worst songs as singles ("Give a Little More" is my least favourite song on the CD, and I'm not crazy about "Misery.") The best songs on the CD, by far, are "How" and "Just a Feeling." But as a whole, Hands All Over is a solid album, with the perfect mix of emotional and sexy songs.



Mumford & Sons - Sigh No More
I saved the best for last. Mumford & Sons are not only my favourite new band, but one of my favourite bands of all time. It's so refreshing to hear new music that really doesn't sound like anything else, and I don't know of any bands with Mumford & Sons' sound. My favourite thing about them, though, is not how unique they are, but rather how emotional their songs are. I feel every single note, to the point where it's almost uncomfortable, and I love that. They're just so brilliant.


Best Single of 2010
Whip My Hair by Willow Smith


I'm only half-kidding. Honestly, my favourite single of 2010 was probably "Teenage Dream" by Katy Perry, which is weird, because I have many issues with Katy Perry. But, it definitely has something to do with the fact that it's perfect for my novel, and I never fail to smile when I hear it.

Television
Best New Series of 2010
Parenthood
I don't understand why more people aren't watching and talking about this show, because I think it's currently the best show on television. The storylines are real and emotional, the characters are well-developed, and all of the actors are brilliant (how can you can go wrong with Lauren Graham?) Seriously, I cried during the pilot of this show. I cared about the characters that much after spending no more than forty minutes with them. It's first show I've seen that has as much heart as the next show I'll talk about.


Best Season of an Old Series
Season Four of Friday Night Lights
Clearly, I'm a Jason Katims fan, as he works on both Parenthood and Friday Night Lights. I'm counting this season as airing in 2010 because that's when NBC aired it, even though DirecTV started airing it in 2009. Friday Night Lights is my favourite show, but I was wary of a season with little Matt Saracen. Honestly, Matt makes Friday Night Lights for me. He's my favourite character of anything, ever. Well, "The Son" gave me everything I needed from Matt Saracen. I wrote a post about that episode, so I won't repeat myself except to say that it's my favourite episode of the series, and easily one of my favourite episodes of any television show, ever. "The Son" is enough to make season four of Friday Night Lights my favourite new season of 2010, but the rest of the season was solid as well. I loved that there was more focus on my second favourite character, Landry, and I warmed up to all of the new characters (especially Luke and Becky, though I know the latter is an unpopular opinion.) It was a solid season for an incredible show, despite the loss of multiple main characters.

Your turn! In your opinion, what was the best music and television of 2010?

3 comments:

Tracey Joseph said...

love this post. I've always wanted to watch an episode of Friday Night Lights but never got the chance. :)

Meredith McCardle said...

Love love LOVE Mumford & Sons. I was raving them on my blog not too long ago. Excellent choice! Add Florence & The Machine to that, and you've got my top 2 of 2010. :)

Brianne Carter said...

Tracey - Thanks! I hope you get to watch an episode of FNL!

Meredith - Yaay Mumford love! I love Florence too :) Lungs was released in 09, which is why I didn't include it.

Post a Comment

ShareThis