Friday, December 31, 2010

Best of 2010: Books

I have a slight obsession with end-of-the-year specials, so it's only fitting that I do a Best of 2010 miniseries on this blog. Yesterday, I talked about my favourite music and television of 2010, and today, I'll talk about my favourite books released and read in 2010.


I became obsessed with YA over the summer. Sure, I loved my Sarah Dessen and Judy Blume books, but I'd never even heard of THE HUNGER GAMES until I joined Absolute Write (why yes, it is uncomfortable to live under a rock.) I've been playing catch-up, so most of the books I read this year were not released this year. That's why I'm doing two lists: one for the best five books released in 2010, and one for the best five books I read in 2010.

Top Five Books Released in 2010
 5. Will Grayson, Will Grayson - John Green and David Levithan
I'm cheating: I haven't finished this book yet. But, I love it so much that it needs to be on this list. A book has never made me laugh and feel so much at the same time. Honestly, I'm not a fan of either Will Grayson, but it's impossible not to love Tiny Cooper. I laugh out loud pretty much every time he speaks (my favourite part of the novel thus far is when he saw a bed and said, "Look, a bed!" Seriously, I lost it...it doesn't take much to impress me.) This book isn't just funny, though. I had to put the book down and flail after reading one scene because it made me feel so much. I'm looking forward to finishing it. 
In making this list, I've realized that Courtney Summers is currently my favourite YA author (uh, spoiler alert.) I love her style so much, and it shines in this book. Regina's voice is uncomfortably real, to-the-point, and packed with emotion. This is such a page-turner, I-need-to-know-what-happens-next-more-than-I-need-sleep book. I love bitchy MCs (as you will see...spoiler alert), and Regina is just perfect in all her flaws.


Look, it's another bitchy MC! Yay! I hated Sam, but I loved that her attitude towards popularity wasn't oh-it's-so-hard-to-be-popular one I'm used to reading, but instead it she thought along the lines of, "Yeah, my life is easier because I'm popular, and that's the way it is." Her honesty is as refreshing as it is off-putting. The plot of this book is incredible as it's intricate and at times shocking, but it still makes sense (as much as a book with this premise can make sense, that is.) My favourite thing, though, is the romance in this book. In fact, it's the best romance I've read in YA. I felt and believed every moment of their relationship. These characters still haven't left me.

2. The Sky is Everywhere - Jandy Nelson 
Up until last week, I thought this book would be number one on my list, so know that it is a close runner-up (actually, my top three are all quite close.) I don't need gorgeous prose to like a book, I just need it to be honest. Well, this book is written in gorgeous and honest prose, and that's what makes it so incredible. Lennie is perfect. I understood her, gosh, did I ever understand her. Grief is hard for me to read about, but when I find a book that handles it well...I can't explain how wonderful that is, but I think all of you understand. It's like someone finally gets it, and Lennie got it, and I got it, and it was incredible. The romance in this book is wonderfully real and sweet, and gah, the entire thing is perfect.

1. Fall For Anything - Courtney Summers
There are so many things that I want to say about this book, which is why I'm going to dedicate a post to it in the new year. For now, I'll say that I've never felt as much as I have reading a book as I did when I read this book. Much like THE SKY IS EVERYWHERE, this book handles grief in way that was hard for me to read, but gosh, I needed to read it. I've known a couple Beth's, and could relate so well to Eddie's hate of her. Milo is just my favourite boy ever. Everything with Culler was thrilling and intriguing. Eddie is flawed and perfect and I've never wanted to hug a character so much. Stop reading this post and go buy this book. Seriously.


Top Five Books Read in 2010
French the llama, it was hard to narrow this list down to five. Honourable mentions go to HANDCUFFS by Bethany Griffin, BREATHING UNDERWATER by Alex Flinn, and IF I STAY by Gayle Forman.

5. Before I Die - Jenny Downham 
Honestly, I wasn't crazy about this book when I started it. I hated Tessa. I couldn't sympathize with her, even with her condition. But, as the book went on, I started to appreciate her honesty and just her raw her voice was. And there was Adam, oh, Adam. Their romance is second only to the one in BEFORE I FALL as my favourite YA romance. It was the same thing: I felt every moment of their relationship and it was beautiful and terrifying and completely heartbreaking. It took me awhile to get into this book, but by the time I was finished? I couldn't get it out of my head.


4. Looking for Alaska - John Green
This is the first YA book I read when I started to play-catch up, and I'm so glad it was. It helped me understand what YA is, which is when I realized that it's everything I love: honest, fast-paced, and incredibly emotional. This was also my first introduction to John Green, which led to me discovering the vlogbrothers and nerfighteria, which is just awesome. It's an incredible book, but it means a lot to me as well, and that's why it's number four on this list.



3. Cracked Up to Be - Courtney Summers
By now it should be obvious that I love Courtney Summers, yes? I think I'm one of the few people who prefers this book to SOME GIRLS ARE, though FALL FOR ANYTHING is definitely my favourite. Parker's another bitchy MC and gosh, I love her for it. The voice in this book is incredible, as it is in all of Courtney's books. My favourite thing about the book, though,  is Parker's relationship with Chris. It's just so perfectly real and messed up. This book is raw and uncomfortable and I loved every word of it.


2. The Sky Always Hears Me and the Hills Don't Mind - Kirstin Cronn-Mills
Why haven't more people read this book? I think it's the perfect coming-of-age book. Morgan's life certainly has issues, but it's not an issue book, it's just an honest representation of the life of a sixteen-year-old. Morgan's confusion over Derek, Rob, and Tessa is so real, and so well-done. My favourite thing about the book is the small town setting (I always love small town settings), and Morgan's overwhelming desire to just get out. I know tons of sixteen-year-old who can relate to that feeling. Heck, I didn't even grow up in a small town, but I pretty much felt like that since I was twelve until I graduated. Morgan's just such a real character and I see her in myself.


1. The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins
I hate to be so obvious with my number one pick, but I love this book as much as everyone I said I would. It's the first dystopian I've read since THE GIVER back in grade six, so I wasn't sure how much I'd like it. Well, once Peeta was introduced, I was sold. Seriously, biggest crush on a fictional character ever, which says something. I'm not a huge fan of Katniss, to be honest (which is why her and Peeta isn't one of my favourite YA romances), but I definitely rooted for her. This book is  so intense and I had to put it down a couple of times (understatement) because I couldn't deal with it. But, I always picked the book back up again, because I needed to know what happened. And because of Peeta. It's funny, because I'd read the descriptions for CATCHING FIRE and MOCKINGJAY (note that I haven't read MOCKINGJAY yet, so no spoilers, though I'm 99% sure I already know the two biggest spoilers), so I knew that certain people needed to survive the games. Well, I pretty much convinced myself that it was some sort of marketing scheme by the publishers that all of you were in on, because I didn't see how they could survive until the end of book. Seriously, I was surprised when they did! So many things surprised me in this book that I would've seen coming if I hadn't been so into it. I was right there with Katniss at the games, and I felt everything she did.

What books have you read/enjoyed on these lists? What are your favourite books of 2010?

Have a fun and safe New Year's Eve, and I'll see you in 2011!

6 comments:

Tracey Joseph said...

I'm ashamed to admit that I haven't read any of these books. Although I did start reading The Hunger Games. In 2011 I will be playing catch up.

Great picks. :)

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh, I'm so glad Before I Fall is on your list! I ordered it off the Book Depository the other day and have been haaaaanging out for it ever since, camping out near my mailbox, etc.

Methinks I'll have to get into Courtney Summers if she's as good as you say. I've heard nothing but good things for Fall For Anything, so I'll try to get it on it as soon as my bank account will allow...

And as for the Hunger Games *sigh* do you know how proud I am of you for reading it and loving Peeta over stupid-ass Gale? SO. PROUD. I have to admit I'd be doing a few things differently to Katniss if I were her, though. Mostly involving making out with Peeta, declaring my undying love for him, making out some more... :)

LM Preston said...

Love the list! You have some books I haven't heard of before, which is great to add to my list.

Karla Calalang said...

This list is great! I hate to say that I haven't read any of them though... even though I do own some of them. Will have to get on that!

Brianne Carter said...

Tracey - Yess, you need to read some! Clearly, I think they're all pretty kick awesome.

Caitlin - I think you'll love Before I Fall and I'm very excited that you're reading it lol. Let me know what you think!

YES, get into Courtney Summers! I'm always right, so obviously she's as good as I say lol. Hope you get to read Fall for Anything soon!

LOL I love that you don't just say Gale, but "stupid-ass Gale." I like Gale, but come on, over PEETA? Poor boy doesn't stand a chance. Oh dude, I'd be all over Peeta if I were Katniss, and I mean that in the dirtiest way possible.

LM - Thanks! Glad I could introduce you to some new books!

Karla - Thanks! Yess, get reading them!

KatOwens: Insect Collector said...

This is really a fantastic list! I completely agree with all the ones I've read.

And I didn't read any of them until this year, either-- no shame in playing catch-up!

Post a Comment

ShareThis