Monday, December 20, 2010

Wishlist for the YA Genre

On the Playlist: Hark! The Herald Angels Sing - Carrie Underwood

Considering all the time we spend reading YA, reading about YA, blogging about YA, and of course, writing YA, I think it's fair to say that the genre owes us a Christmas present or two. What could the YA genre give you this Christmas to make you love it just a little bit more? Note that though I'd love to see more of everything on my list in YA books, I don't necessarily want to see these items replace anything else. This list isn't a criticism of what the genre lacks, but rather what I'd personally love to see more of in the future. Also, if you know of any books like the ones I mention in my list, please tell me about them in the comments!

My Wishlist:

  • Books centered around football. I don't watch football and can't understand it for the life of me, but I'm slightly obsessed with football movies and television shows. Think Friday Night Lights (the television show, because I'm a terrible person and haven't read the book yet), so it goes beyond I'm-dating-the-quarterback, but that's still a part of it. I'd actually love to see a football book focused on the male relationships within the team, because I'm fascinated with male/male friendship. 
  • On that note, books that focus on male/male friendships.
  • More boys in general, really. Not because I think they're underrepresented in YA, necessarily, but because I love boys and I'm shameless like that.
  • I think I'd like to see more unrequited love. Not the kind where the boy would never like the girl because he's so much more popular than she is, but ones where the readers think there really is a chance that the main character will get the boy or girl they want, and the boy or girl just isn't interested in that way. 
  • More attention paid to characters' passions, what they want to pursue after high school. Don't get me wrong, I love hormone-crazy teens, but I was a hormone-crazy teen who wrote and danced throughout high school. I want to see what teens love other than each other.
  • A really good mystery, and I think what makes a mystery great is a satisfying and sensible ending that's still a little shocking. I love mysteries so much, and would love to write one (this is coming from the girl who fails at plotting), but I'm not finding many examples in the YA genre. I could be looking in the wrong places, though, so please let me know if you know of any awesome YA mysteries.
What's your wishlist for the YA Genre? Do you know any books that fit with my/a commenter's list? Let me know in the comments!

4 comments:

Angelica R. Jackson said...

I think it's technically a crossover book, but I loved the mystery The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley.

Unknown said...

Boys boys boys! *fangirls* I want some more boys, and not just "ooh-it's-a-choice-between-John-and-Jim" kind of boys, but neutral, secondary, awesomely funny sidekick kinda boys. Think Xander from Buffy, Mike Chang from Glee, you know, the zingy-one-liner boy with no romantic interest in the lead at ALL.

The only book I've ever read that remotely dealt with football was Meg Cabot's 'Avalon High', and I doubt that really counts... But I totally agree. I don't know anything about American football and I want more of it! :)

Rachael said...

I am so with you on the boy books. :)

*Fantasy in the vein of J.K. Rowling and Cassandra Clare. Particularly with strong female protags instead of fantasy where the MC uncovers a "dark secret" or they fall in love with this guy that just happens to be a vampire/werewolf/insert other creature here.

*Realistic romance where things are awkward in the beginning and the characters don't just fall in love and mesh instantly.

*Realistic contemps like Kody Keplinger's DUFF.

Tracey Neithercott said...

I second the unrequited love books. John Green's Paper Towns reminds me of that.

And thanks for stopping by my blog. As a newbie it's nice to get visits!

Post a Comment

ShareThis